Wednesday, June 24, 2009

typical kids

I'm in the process of teaching the girls when it it is time for them to go into the coop at night. Boy what a snotty crew! 8pm each evening, I go into the enclosure when the sun is at a specific angle on the horizon, and pick up each one and put her into the coop, shutting the sliding door behind her so she can't dash out and have to be caught again. It's not the most gentle process, but it's necessary. They don't want to go inside, see, and it takes about a week (I hear tell) for them to learn to go in there on their own in the evening.

The two little reds, in particular, go wild. They run laps around me going woowooowoowoowoowoowoowoo, knowing that they're quicker than I am and that it's harder to catch small moving objects than their larger sisters, the australorps. And they start this when I catch the 'lorps, which riles up the buffs so the buffs are doing the same thing, running as quick as their fat plush bodies will allow.

It reminds me of little kids who refuse to go down for a nap, because I can go out to the coop and start the 'nighty-night' routine, where I change the water in the waterer inside, make sure the straw is relatively fresh inside, etc. The girls will be relaxing on their outside perches, eyes closed, and on the bricks around the waterer, eyes closed. Their heads aren't tucked so I know they're not down for the count, but they're slowing down.

Anyway, I go in and tell them it's time for bed and they protest :) *cluck!* NO! I don't want to go to bed! I'm not tired! *cluck!* You can't make me! *cluck!*

The reds act like they had chocolate-frosted sugar bombs which they washed down with espressos. Boing boing boing run run run chirp chirp chirp. And then they go quiet immediately when I finally catch them and stroke their backs before putting them in for the night. Silly.

Last night was no exception. One of the little reds (always the last inside) jumped up on the perch next to the coop door and looked at me, and the door, and me, and the door. Night before last, she jumped onto the ramp and looked at the door, which I opened, and then she tried to make a break for it and I had to grab and shove her inside. Last night I had to grab her from the perch and then put her inside. She knows her sisters are inside and she's outside, and she should probably be inside, too. But she's not quite making the connection that she could go in herself rather than be put there.

No comments:

Post a Comment