Monday, June 22, 2009

knackered, but with pics


I had to call in sick this morning. Which is to say, I slept through part of the alarm, sent a text message at 4:30am explaining I was doing poorly, and then I went back to sleep and woke up at noon. That's baaaad, even for me.

It's very simple. I did too much this weekend, after doing too much during the week after work. And then it was hot as the devil's buttcrack yesterday, which didn't help. So, after digging out and dumping into a pile something like 50 cubic feet of clay (wet clay, damp clay, semi-solid clay), I dumped in a mere 18 cubic feet of planting mix and top soil. Anyone ever tried making dishes with side yard clay? I might have to do that and see if I can fire the things in the wood stove this winter. Either that or I'm making mud bricks with the straw I sweep out of the coop...

I got this fool idea of finally finishing the side yard where I'm planting the hops rhizomes. As you can see, these babies are more than ready to go into the ground after spending a couple weeks bagged up and in the vegetable drawer of the fridge.

And then here are some general veggie pics.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, it all looks great! Your garden looks really good. And that coop is palatial!

    The chickens have grown a LOT. Buff Orpingtons always remind me, for some reason, of Mrs. Wilson in the old Dennis the Menace comic strip.

    You have done a tremendous amount of work. No wonder you are knackered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These little dingbat buffs kind of remind me of Dolly Parton, circa "9 to 5", ha. They're almost the size the 'lorps were when everyone came home. It's funny how fat they look, because it's mostly feathers. I don't think they weigh more than a pound wet.

    I'll try to snap pics of the beans and peas and other squashes today or tomorrow. After I decompress and sit in the enclosure with the girls a bit. I have a round stepping stone in there to sit on, and they have a beach umbrella to shade that corner of the enclosure, which makes it perfect. Hopefully no one's pooped on the stepping stone since yesterday... man, some people's kids...

    ReplyDelete